Personal finance expert Kara Stevens explains the importance of having boundaries when it comes to our money and our relationships. Boundaries in all areas of our lives are essential to healthy self-esteem.
As women, many of us were not taught to talk about money openly and honestly. We’re so grateful to have Mrs. Fab N’ Frugal herself bringing us these key conversations. Let’s evolve together! -aa
What are Your Financial Boundaries? by Kara Stevens
I dated a guy that asked me to co-sign on a loan for a motorcycle for him. Back in my twenties, I had no idea what “cosigning” was, but I darn well knew that his request did not sit well with my spirit and so I told him, “no.” It did not sit well with me, becaue I intuitively felt that he had crossed my financial boundary.
I define “financial boundary” as a set of personal fiscal beliefs that inform your opinions and policies around lending, spending, and borrowing.
- Today’s episode of Fab N’ Frugal TV, “How Do I Create Financial Boundaries?” will help you uncover your financial boundaries and learn how to confidently defend them.
You’ll also find prompts for how to respond to those who cross your financial boundaries. This advice applies to romantic partners and family members. There’s also helpful homework.
Featured photo, One Love Southern Africa.
More Passionate Living
- How to be Sexy and Respect Yourself
- Yoga to Heal Breakups and Bad Relationships
- Essence Magazine Love & Dating Experts’ Advice
- Feminist Art & Hip Hop Culture! Empowerment
- Mindfulness and Meditation! Healing (Video)
- Why Didn’t My First Date Call Me Back?
- How to Use Feminine Power for Business Shine
P.S. Please also find my advice this week on the following columns and segments: Nerdpocalypse’s Love School for Nerds, Essence’s Intimacy Intervention on same sex exploration, exploring tantra in a long term relationship and Mommy Noire’s Beauty Love Class and Women Hating Women.