Self-Worth Coach, Love Columnist, TV Personality, Speaker
meet abiola abrams
Hi, I’m Abiola!
Consider me your go-to Passionate Living Coach, Love Columnist & Empowerment Author based in New York City. I help extraordinary women (and by proxy, enlightened men) realize their juiciest lives by tapping into the power of love. I coach clients one-on-one and in groups: in person, via telephone, Google Hangout or Skype. In addition, I speak to civic organizations and educational institutions about self-worth, offer laser coaching as a lifestyle expert on TV, radio and the web and write books, blogs and columns.
My “beat” is: self-worth and self-esteem; love, dating and relationships, career creativity, body love and body acceptance. I came to this planet to share the secrets of living with more passion and positive energy than you ever thought possible.
For the past 10 years my work has been about women getting to be who we really are. Masks off. No more holding back. Let’s do it. Life is not a passive experience. It’s a passionate experience!
If you were looking for a sign THIS IS IT. It’s time to Live Your You.
I am here for you. Please get in touch.
Frequently Answered Questions:
HOMETOWN: New York City born Goddess of Guyanese Parentage.
NAME: Both of my parents claimed to have named me. Abiola is a Nigerian Yoruba name meaning joy, born on the first or born into wealth depending on who you ask. It is a very common name in my parents’ country, Guyana, South America. There are at least 5 people in the United States also named “Abiola Abrams.”
FAMILY HISTORY: I am a fourth generation empowerment specialist. My great-grandmother was a midwife and women’s fertility healer. My mother is a Shakespeare-quoting ex-schoolteacher. Her aunt who raised her ran a de facto Bed and Breakfast known as The White House. My father is a journalist, minister and Ivy League grad. My sister is visual artist Damali Abrams and my brother is a professional tech guru. Both of my grandfathers were hard-working farmers. Like “Ma,” my great-granny, I help women give birth to themselves. I stand on the shoulders of those who came before.
FAVORITE PROJECTS: Upcoming advice guide “The Official Bombshell Handbook of Feminine Power;” Debut novel “Dare: A Love Story;” award-winning documentary “Knives in My Throat;” BET Show “The Best Short Film Competition;” MTV show “Made.” Essence Magazine and Madame Noire advice columns.
FAVORITE CAUSE: I offer coaching scholarships for female veterans of the Iraqi wars. I also am an advocate of Eve Ensler’s VDay movement which aims to stop violence against women and girls worldwide.
COACHING METHODOLOGIES: My unique Passionate Living Coach process is based on tapping into divine feminine energy with a healing and intuitive combination of art therapy practices, cognitive behavioral work, spiritual counseling, neuro-linguistic programming and life-changing modalities including emotional freedom technique.
EDUCATION: I received my life coach certification from the American University of Neuro-Linguistic Programming. My undergrad degree is from Sarah Lawrence College and I have an MFA from Vermont College of Fine Arts.
PERSONAL HISTORY: After a 10 year relationship and a dream wedding, I learned the man I thought was my soulmate no longer wanted a monogamous relationship with me. I was recreating familial patterns of anxiety and infidelity. Anxiety and self-loathing manifested for me in several forms including people pleasing and disordered eating that started in my childhood when my family and I were bullied for not being “real Americans.” The cure for living a stunted half-life was to learn how to release suffering and choose to live as who I really am.
FUN RECENT STUFF: In addition to giving advice on networks like the CW I have given lifestyle advice and coaching on a number of other shows and documentaries. Recently I got to work with the lovely Meghan McCain on her show, “Raising McCain” for the Pivot Network. I filmed an advice panel on an episode called “The Death of Romance” with comic Phoebe Robinson, Jimmy McCain and Matchmaker Erica Christiansen, the Love Conductor. I also shot 3 episodes of a new Centric show called “Him and Her Rules.” The show includes the fabulous Claudia Jordan, Dr. Jeff Gardere and Dr. Michelle Callahan.
GUILTY PLEASURES: I indulge in all of the juicy joy that life has to offer. For example, I am an 80/20 vegan. That means that I eat completely clean 80% of the time and the other 20% I eat whatever vegetarian treats I want. The goal is to never feel guilt or shame for any of your choices! Yay. Find out why I became a coach plus more frequently asked questions here. Find my full bio, sample articles and videos below.
the lifestyle passionista
Passionate Living Coach, Author & Personality
assionate Living Expert, Self-Worth and Relationship Maven Abiola Abrams
assionate Living Expert, Self-Worth and Relationship Maven Abiola Abramsis known for her bold but caring advice. She writes and broadcasts about the heart-centered lifestyle and personal power! In addition to being an in-demand speaker, certified life coach, author, columnist and multi-platform media personality, Abiola is the founder of “The Passionista Playbook” love, lifestyle & self improvement blog, LoveUniversity.us and her award-winning web TV series. Her upcoming advice guide, “The Official Bombshell Handbook of Feminine Power,” will be released in 2014.
Recently, Abiola worked her magic as:
- A featured Love and Lifestyle Advice Columnist on Essence, Yahoo Shine, Mommy Noire and gURL plus online dating sites like Match.com.
- A recurring Relationship & Lifestyle Expert for the CW’s “Bill Cunningham Show;”
- An MTV Teen Dating Empowerment Coach on the docu-reality series “MADE;”
- A recurring Love Expert for publications like Essence Magazine and JET Magazine;
- An empowerment speaker at universities plus conferences such as “NYC Women’s Empowerment Summit,” “Single In Stilettos,” “Good Vibrations Summit,” Al Sharpton’s “State of Black Relationships” and “Flatbush AIDS Day“; Host of shows like “The African American Literary Awards” and “The Reel Sisters of the Diaspora Film Festival.”
- Creative Director & Editor of this award-winning lifestyle site and Host /Producer of her award-winning “Abiola’s Kiss & Tell TV” lifestyle web talk show and advice vlogs;
- Featured expert on relationships, self-esteem and lifestyle in documentaries such as Michael Baisden’s “Do Women Know What They Want?,” Therese Shechter’s “How to Lose Your Virginity,” Janks Morton’s “Hoodwinked,” Public Media’s “Black Folks Don’t” series and “In Our Heads About Our Own Hair”;
- Educator on healthy living Adult Education sites like Gasm.org and Passionate U with love and lifestyle content syndicated on sites like Healthy You Now;
- A BBC Radio Entertainment Correspondent speaking about love and life;
- Over 2 million advice “clients” served with 2,000,000+ views on her YouTube Advice Channel;
- PLUS She was named one of the “Top 10 Women Teaching About Sex” by Clutch Magazine, “Top 20 Black Bloggers” by Black Enterprise Magazine, chosen “Dating Expert to Know” by DatingWebsite.com and named a “Top 10 Safe Sex Blog” by Get Tested.
professional bio: america’s passionate living coach
You’ve heard Abiola’s life-changing, “wake up call” advice, haven’t you?
Passionate living expert and writer Abiola Abrams has spent the last 10+ years using the media to empower women. The personal development coach and author of the upcoming “Official Bombshell Handbook of Feminine Power” gives advice and produces media about self-worth, relationships and how to live with passion. Abiola is a featured columnist on prominent sites like Essence, Madame Noire, Yahoo Shine and gURL.com.
In addition, she is a recurring love, self-esteem and lifestyle guru on talk shows like the CW Network’s “Bill Cunningham Show” and docu-reality series like MTV’s “Made.” Black Enterprise Magazine named her self-development blog which hosts her award-winning web series, one of the top African American blogs. She also reported on celebrity relationships as a BBC Radio entertainment correspondent.
Abiola gives keynote speeches on empowerment at schools such as NYU and for women at conferences like Single in Stilettos. Abiola has also hosted lifestyle TV shows like BET’s “The Best Shorts,” HBO’s “The Buzz” and NBC’s “Source: All Access.” As a social experiment the lifestyle journalist went undercover to star as “Miss Picky” on VH1 matchmaker “reality” series “Tough Love.” As a part of her ongoing safe sex education initiative she directed the award-winning and critically acclaimed feminist erotica art film, “Afrodite Superstar.” Her social issues short films and documentaries about race, gender and relationships have been shown in festivals, museums and universities from Berlin to New York City. She created and curated the Chashama Gallery Manhattan exhibit “Hos, Putas and Dragon Ladies: Our Sexuality Remixed,” “The Goddess Factory” at Rush Arts and VDay’s “Until the Violence Stops Film Festival” at the Museum of The City of NY and the Museum of TV and Radio.
Dare (Simon & Schuster), a hip hop love story, Abiola’s popular debut novel was taught at Amherst College. Her provocative writing has been published in anthologies such as Behind the Bedroom Door, Dirty Words, Say Word: Voices from Hip Hop Theater and Eve Ensler’s A Memory, A Monologue, A Rant and A Prayer. Abiola talks dating, self-worth and lifestyle in documentaries such as Michael Baisden’s “Do Women Know What They Want?,” Therese Shechter’s “How to Lose Your Virginity” and “In Our Heads About Our Own Hair” directed by Hemanset Angaza and PBS-funded “Black Folks Don’t.
Abiola Abrams is a certified NLP life wellness coach, has a BA from Sarah Lawrence and an MFA from Vermont College of Fine Arts. Abiola’s first professional project after college was writing and starring in “Goddess City,” the first recognized hip hop theater play. The show covered women’s issues around love and self-esteem and she won Cosmopolitan Magazine‘s Fun, Fearless, Female Award. Abiola’s been living juicy and inviting her sisters along ever since.
select love, self-esteem and lifestyle advice articles
Essence Magazine: “Intimacy Intervention”
- My Man Thinks That I’m Too Fat for Love
- Celibacy 101: All About Being “Chaste”
- Sex Addiction is Ruining My Life
- Boyfriend in Armed Services Unfaithful
- Help! I Keep Going Back to My Ex Boyfriend
- Husband Uses Racial Slurs in the Bedroom
Madame Noire: Abiola’s Love Class
- Post Traumatic Relationship Disorder & Anger
- Getting Married? He Husband Material?
- Dealing with Your Limiting Love Beliefs
- When You Should be Single on Purpose
- How People Pleasing Ruins Relationships
- 40 Affirmations for Better Love & Dating
- How to Stop Acting Like Your Guy’s Mother
- Can You Predict Whether He’s a Cheater?
- How to Relearn Self Worth After A Breakup
- How to Love Fearlessly
- Soul Mate Love Lessons: It Gets Better
gURL! Teen Self Worth Advice
- Why I Love My Hair!
- How to Feel Comfortable in Your Skin
- How to “Date” Yourself! Be In Love With You
- How to Tell Your Parents About Your Boyfriend
- How to Talk to Your Mom About Birth Control
- How Not to Seem Desperate
Bill Cunningham Talk Show (Video)
- Does Your Girlfriend’s Body Size Affect Your Fidelity?
- How to Deal with Domestic Violence in a Relationship
- Secrets, Lies and Scandals Are Ruining Your Relationships?
- Talk Show Hot Topics Playlist
The Passionista Playbook (this blog)
- The White Men’s Guide to Dating Black Women
- How Iyanla Vanzant Inspires My Coaching Magic
- How to Love Like You Have Never Been Hurt
- Men & Sexual Abuse: A Survivor Speaks
- The Body Language of Love: A Comprehensive Guide
- Abiola is a lead lifestyle & relationships content contributor (articles, videos, author & celebrity interviews) in the areas of dating, love, self-esteem and empowerment using pop culture including advertorial and branded entertainment.
- She’s interviewed celebrities, intellectuals, authors and luminaries such as Quincy Jones, Jackie Collins, Chris Rock, Patti Labelle, LL Cool J, Henry Louis Gates, Jr. and more about living with passion.
- Branded entertainment clients and sites have included: Pepsi We Inspire, American Airlines’ Black Atlas, HP, Terra Fossil Wine, Yahoo, Glam Media and Hello Beautiful.
- As a love, relationships, lifestyle and self-improvement blogger, self-love, self-esteem, self-worth and empowerment is integral to almost every written post and video — as well as a sense of fun, joy and passion.
Social Media Butterfly
- Twitter: @abiolatv 18,000+ followers;
- Facebook: 8,000+ followers/likes (2 pages);
- YouTube: 2 million + video views;
- Tumblr: 800 followers;
- Pinterest: 1600 followers;
- Instagram: 1300 followers
- Blog: 1,000+ Visitors Daily;
- Google:+ 2,000+ followers;
books by abiola (including anthologies)
Abiola’s award-winning web TV love and lifestyle talk show for women premiered in 2008. Each episode garners a minimum of 20,000 views on iTunes. Episodes also air on Mingle Media and Glam TV. The show is co-produced by iCreateTv.
Select Web Series Episodes, Advice Vlogs + Speeches