In Guyana (or Queens, NY by way of GT parentage!), we cook a lot with what we call “ground provisions.” Provisions are whatever ground veggies like cassavas and sweet potatoes are in the pantry. Check out damali’s video diary and recipe for really good vegan soup. Frying the plantains first is a new twist for me. It’s seems delish but I might skip that step. The dumplings look a-mazing, too. Oooh – and check out the bonus family photo album that I added from our last trip “home.” -aa
Like my vegan chocolate cake recipe video, this veggie soup video was made as part of my year-long doc made up of daily video diaries, Autobiography of a Year II. Honestly, I’m not a big fan of soup and I’m not the greatest cook but I was asked to make it and I am proud to say it turned out to be extremely delicious.
This soup has a lot of garlic in it, which is Mother Nature’s strongest antibiotic and a powerful ally during this current flu-pocalypse epidemic. ; )
Vegetable Soup Ingredients
(Ingredient amounts vary depending on the amount of soup you are making.)
- sweet potatoes
- fried plantains
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- black pepper
- one large onion
- one garlic bulb
- hot red pepper
Recipe for Dumplings
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup water
What to Do
- Let soup boil for about 3 hours.
- Add dumplings for the last half hour.
Bonus! Guyana Family Union Trip Photo Diary
More Passionate Living!
- Meeting Viola Davis! My Revealing Interview with the Star of ‘Beautiful Creatures’
- Meeting Tamar Braxton: Video Interview on “Braxton Family Values”
- Online Dating Safety Advice and Tips
- How to Build a Man Cave in Your Garage! #DIY Gift Idea
- How Rich People Think and Advice for the Financially Challenged
- I Cooked from My Parents’ Garden & I Liked It! How to: Gardening DIY
- Delicious Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Breakup Quotes on Pinterest: Positive Moving On Thoughts
- Gluten Free Almond Butter Recipe
- How to Save Money When You Live Together
- You Can Save Money and Eat Healthy at the Same Time